Scrivenshafts.net - A friendly writing community

How to Write a Novelette
Posted: 06 September 2006 02:27 AM  
Administrator
Total Posts:  431
Joined  2006-08-03

In case anyone was wondering what a novelette was, it’s a short novel, or a long short story. smile

Any comments, suggestions or helpful hints on how to get through writing one?

I have a writing class next semester, and I’d love to know what everyone thinks. smile

Signature 

Live. Love. Learn.

Posted: 06 September 2006 04:50 AM  
SVS addict in the making!
Total Posts:  468
Joined  2006-08-03

Maybe you should read story by Stephen King—it’s called’Secret Window, Secret Garden”—the movie ‘Secret Window’ is based off of this short story.

Anyway, I guess my childrens book might be a novella if I can’t add anything to it!

but, as Nat has said to me, “It is the story that counts”

Signature 

No. If we don’t have the key, we can’t open whatever we dont’ have that it unlocks. So what purpose would be served in finding whatever need be unlocked, which we don’t have, without first having found the key what unlocks it? ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

Thank goodness for that because if I wasn’t, this’d probably never work ~ Captain Jack Sparrow (to Beckett)

Posted: 06 September 2006 10:51 AM  
Administrator
Total Posts:  383
Joined  2006-07-26

MM, what word limit where you looking at? 7,500-17,500 words is an awfully big range.

Whatever the length, two pieces of advice that I have found very useful are

1. Write, then revise. Get the story out first, then polish it up,

and

2. Set yourself a number of words to write each day and stick to it.

Of course, there are also the general guidelines such as ‘Know your craft’ and ‘Do your research’.

What genre are you writing in?

Signature 

If there is a book that you want to read and it has not been written, you must write it yourself.

Posted: 07 September 2006 09:37 PM  
Administrator
Joined  2006-08-03

I don’t really have all those definite details because this isn’t until next semester. The only way I found out about it is from my guidance councillor because I was wondering if I should drop my spare, and she suggested that I shouldn’t because I have to write a novelette and that takes some time. So I didn’t drop my spare, so I started to think, Oh My GOSH! What if I fail!!!??? So I ran here and decided to ask some fellow writers and friends for advice. smile

I have a very rough outline that I came up with off of the top of my head for it, should I give you guys a run down here, or should I post it in the workshop, or something else?

Signature 

Live. Love. Learn.

Posted: 08 September 2006 05:40 AM  
Administrator
Total Posts:  383
Joined  2006-07-26

I would post it in the Writers’ Workshop - Original Fiction. You should get some helpful feedback that way. At the very least, we should be able to check it for plot holes and major inconsistencies. smile

Signature 

If there is a book that you want to read and it has not been written, you must write it yourself.

Posted: 11 September 2006 08:28 PM  
Administrator
Joined  2006-08-03

Ok. smile

I have my original post all fixed in my thread in the workshop, so you can check it out there.

Signature 

Live. Love. Learn.

Posted: 08 July 2007 02:04 PM  
Administrator
Joined  2006-08-03

Since the novelette is long since over with, I am going to close this thread! smile

Signature 

Live. Love. Learn.